Tuesday, August 30, 2011

wHen aSkEd "What is your story" oN A SiTe fOr PareNTs oF chILDreN wiTH aUTisM ...

I am a 28 year old wife and mother of four amazing children ... four years old and under :) I have 2 sons (4,3) and 2 daughters (1, 2months) who make up my entire world.

Last summer (2010), my (then 2 yr old) 3 year old son was diagnosed with high functioning Autism. To my husband and I, this diagnosis was anything BUT tragic. We felt relief and that we were finally taking a step in the 'right' direction. We had known for quite some time that there was something unique about our little boy, but until we knew what 'it' was, we felt lost. Surprising to many, we found our STRENGTH in the word "Autism". Until now we hadn't felt like we were leading our son in the right direction ... or any for that matter. We were no longer curious, worried, or feeling helpless. We were ready to take this Autism journey with everything we had. We embraced it (and continue to) with everything in our hearts and souls.

Last Summer ,our son (2 years old) began using his first word. It wasn't the typical "mommy' or "daddy". His word was "open"... or "popen" as he said it. He learned this word with the help of an amazing Early-On educator who I will never in my life forget. She helped my son learn to speak. This was by far the greatest gift anyone has ever given me. She would bring a tote of toys into our house for her visits and by this, was able to get my son intrigued and engaged. He became very familiar with the routine of having to say "open" to be able to play with her.

From the mouth of this amazing teacher came the words "what would you think if I said that I think your son may have Autism". With glassy, tear-filled eyes I looked at her and said the word "relief". She was taken back by the one word I could say and said "you wouldn't be in denial, upset, or angry"? I thought to myself for a minute, looked at my son, then said very confidently "No, not in any way. I would be relieved that we have our answer".

From there we took the steps of Pediatrician, Psychiatrist, and then the psychological evaluation. Which came to the conclusion or son has Autistic Disorder - High Functioning.

With the help of Early-On, in-home therapy, floor time, OT, sensory therapy, ECSE, and parents who will never stop fighting - our son is now able to communicate his wants and needs, answer yes/no questions, is potty trained, and is learning how to do some of his ADL's independently.

We are so proud of our son ... for all of his success in just this last year. When we look back a year ago when he wasn't even speaking ONE word and then fast forward to today ... it is nothing short of amazing. He is amazing, and his growth continues to give me hope.

No comments: